West Hallam

West Hallam

The Village in the 1920s Although it is not known exactly when the first settlement appeared, West Hallam is mentioned in the Domesday Book as having belonged to a man called Dunstan before the Norman conquest. By 1199 the Lords of the Manor were the de Cromwells, who...
Stanton Road Cemetery

Stanton Road Cemetery

In the early 1990s, members of the Ilkeston and District Local History Society became aware of the deteriorating state of the Cemetery on Stanton Road, Ilkeston. A number of Society members began clearance of the overgrown vegetation and this revealed more of the...
Park Cemetery

Park Cemetery

Park Cemetery is the town’s municipal cemetery, and is owned and run by Erewash Borough Council. Many well known inhabitants of Ilkeston since the 1890s are buried here including mayors, local industrialists, Justices of the Peace, police and councillors. Most of...
South Street

South Street

This block stood on the corner of South Street and Wharncliffe Road until 1937 when it was demolished to make way for an extension to the Cooperative Department Store. It once contained a Post Office, Joseph Wright’s barber shop and the Bon Bon Shop. Though not...
St Mary’s Parish Church

St Mary’s Parish Church

The parish church of St Mary the Virgin has stood on its present site since the mid 12th century and until 1848 served the whole town of Ilkeston. Since 1848 three new parishes were formed to serve the spiritual needs of the rapidly expanding town. The building...
Ilkeston Charter Fair

Ilkeston Charter Fair

Introduction King Henry III granted a Charter Hugh de Muskham on April 10th in the year 1252. The charter gave the Lord of the Manor and the townsfolk of Ilkeston the right to hold a market on the Thursday of every week and an annual two day fair on the Assumption of...