Local Histories
Ilkeston’s Main Post Office 1922-1989
“Time works continuous changes, and the old order of things give place to the new. The modest and unpretentious building in the Market-place, Ilkeston, which has hitherto served to house the ever-growing needs of the postal service, closed its doors on Saturday night at seven o’clock, and when a hour and a half later the last dispatch took place the passing of the old Post Office may be said to have been completed and another page in the annals of the Borough had been written off and relegated to the past.
The new premises lower down the street were quickly and unostentatiously opened at the customary hour on Sunday morning the full postal and telegraphic service was resumed was resumed without interruption. It was indeed a wonderful transformation and wrought with such smoothness and facility and absence of fuss, and without the slightest dislocation that calls forth quiet determination in the minds of those who gave the matter consideration. Many people will remember the change – which at the time seemed as important an advance as the present now is – from the building which formerly served as the Post Office to the one which has just now been superseded by the fine palatial block in South-street adjoining the Free Library.
The Post Office business at that time was carried on in a portion of the same block as the premises now discarded – in a shop occupied by the late Mr. Chas. Potts, chemist and grocer. It was a small and inconvenient building, and on the death of Mr. Potts the premises changed hands, and were remodelled. The opening of the late Post Office was certainly a tremendous advantage in every respect on the old condition of things. A very much greater stride has now been made over that which took place in the removal to the new building, which constitutes an architectural asset to the town, and supplies a want that has been very long felt.
Ilkeston can now boast of a Post Office, so far as the building is concerned, that is worthy of the size and importance of the town. The cost is over £12,000, and the work has been carried out by Mr. A. Earnshaw, East-street, the principal contractor, with Messrs. L. Buxton (joinery), and Greenhough and Johnson (plumbing), sub-contractors, and Mr. [Henry] Rees (from H.M. Office of Works) as architect, and Mr. A.F. Cole as clerk of works. In a short time the Telephone Exchange will be transferred from Wilmot-street and housed in the new premises, accommodation having been provided for the telephonic apparatus, and also for a caretaker to reside on the second floor. The premises are illuminated throughout by electricity and heated by the hot-water system. Red brick and Portland stone have been used in the construction the building. On the first floor is a large and handsome public office 23ft. by 21ft., with mosaic floor and mahogany fittings. In this office facilities are provided for writing telegrams, postcards and letters, and there is a letter box inside the building (as well as on the outside) in which to post the correspondence. A telephone cabinet is also close to hand. The public counter is apportioned into different departments, over which is posted a classification such as “Stamps”, “Telegrams”, “Insurance Stamps”, “Money Orders”, etc., etc., which will make for the Post Office staff. Adjacent is the telegraph messengers – so different from the old order of things.
At the rear of the building is the sorting office, a large and commodious room 34ft. by 28ft. There is also the postmaster’s sanctum, messengers’ room, separate retiring rooms for postmen and clerks and for the lady clerks, apparatus and battery rooms, etc. The retiring rooms are provided with every necessary convenience for cooking meals, and numbered and locked compartments in which to keep their food, etc. On the second floor, as mentioned previously, are the caretaker’s living rooms, lady clerks’ retiring rooms, besides switch room, etc. A staircase leads up on to a flat roof at the back, which will serve many a useful purpose in the summer time.
The building throughout is constructed on the fire-proof principle with concrete floors and floors of maple wood blocks. The outside frontal aspect is pleasing, and the broad pavement enhances the status and appearance of the building, which is one of the finest of its kind in the town, and reflects the highest credit on the contractor, sub-contractors and others concerned in its erection. There is a spacious yard at the back, with stores and sheds and other accommodation.”
This building closed as a Post Office in February 1989 and is now host to “Hogarth’s” Public House.
Holy Trinity Parish Church, Mapperley
Mapperley has a long history and is mentioned in the Domesday Book. A Chapel was established here in about 1230 by Hugh de Strelley by arrangement with the Abbot of Dale as patron and Rector and was...
Kirk Hallam
by Beverley Kilby Widening the Nutbrook Canal Bridge, 1950's - looking towards Spondon, St Norbert Drive / Godfrey Drive junction in middle distance. Originally an agricultural parish and village,...
Cossall
Just east of Ilkeston is the village of Cossall which, like Trowell, was once part of Lord Middleton's estate. One of Cossall's claims to fame is its Waterloo memorial in the...
Trowell
Just over the border into Nottinghamshire is the village of Trowell, which is probably most famous for being the Festival of Britain Village in 1951. The village is believed to have Saxon origins,...
Shipley
An area known for its coal, theme park and now a country park, Shipley has a very varied history. Shipley Hall, around the turn of the 20th Century Mentioned in the Domesday Book, the manor at...
West Hallam
The Village in the 1920s Although it is not known exactly when the first settlement appeared, West Hallam is mentioned in the Domesday Book as having belonged to a man called Dunstan before the...
Stanton Road Cemetery
In the early 1990s, members of the Ilkeston and District Local History Society became aware of the deteriorating state of the Cemetery on Stanton Road, Ilkeston. A number of Society members began...
Park Cemetery
Park Cemetery is the town’s municipal cemetery, and is owned and run by Erewash Borough Council. Many well known inhabitants of Ilkeston since the 1890s are buried here including mayors, local...
South Street
This block stood on the corner of South Street and Wharncliffe Road until 1937 when it was demolished to make way for an extension to the Cooperative Department Store. It once contained a Post...
St Mary’s Parish Church
The parish church of St Mary the Virgin has stood on its present site since the mid 12th century and until 1848 served the whole town of Ilkeston. Since 1848 three new parishes were formed to serve...
Ilkeston Charter Fair
Introduction King Henry III granted a Charter Hugh de Muskham on April 10th in the year 1252. The charter gave the Lord of the Manor and the townsfolk of Ilkeston the right to hold a market on the...











