Kirk Hallam

Kirk Hallam

by Beverley Kilby

Widening the Nutbrook Canal Bridge, 1950’s – looking towards Spondon, St Norbert Drive / Godfrey Drive junction in middle distance.

Originally an agricultural parish and village, Kirk Hallam is now known for its large housing estates on either side of the main road to Spondon. It is hard to believe that in 1846 Kirk Hallam had just 18 houses and 93 inhabitants and that it changed very little until the last 100 years, with the most rapid growth in size taking place post WW2.

Public sector housing was built by the Ilkeston Borough Council and by Stanton and Staveley on the south side of the village in the 1950s/60s and a mix of public and private housing on the north side in the 1960/70s.  

Ladywood Road looking towards Ilkeston, about 1900.

All Saints Church in the village is a Grade 1 listed building. It was built in the fourteenth century, but it is thought that there may have been an earlier one on the site. The church has had many alterations and repairs over the last couple of hundred years being re-pewed, a new chancel arch, new porch and buttresses added.  

Below the church on the same side of the road is the school built by Francis William Newdigate in 1872. As the population of the village was small the school accepted pupils from other nearby villages such as Little Hallam and Mapperley. The building was extended twice and when Ladywood Road was widened in 1963 some of the front yard was lost. With the new housing estates, the school was inadequate and so new schools were built – one just up the road (Ladywood School) and another Dallimore Primary which was revolutionary in its design – it had no assembly hall, school canteen or toilet block. Instead, seven self-contained classrooms formed teaching spaces in which there were separate areas for teaching, play and a “garden” area as well as toilets. 

Bunker’s Hill Cottages, Ladywood Road seen just before demolition in about 1954. Looking towards Ilkeston, the houses on Welbeck / Poplar Avenues in the distance. (Henry Shaw)

Industry played a small part in the parish with a short-lived colliery and ironstone pit. During the late 19th Century, Ilkeston’s Town Council used water from the colliery to supplement the town’s water supply. The disused ironstone pit – now Pioneer Meadows – was lastly owned by Stanton before coming under Erewash Borough Council’s stewardship.

Related Stories

Ilkeston’s Main Post Office 1922-1989

Ilkeston’s Main Post Office 1922-1989

Extracted from the Ilkeston Pioneer newspaper 10th March 1922 “Time works continuous changes, and the old order of things give place to the new. The modest and unpretentious building in the Market-place, Ilkeston, which has hitherto served to house the ever-growing...

Holy Trinity Parish Church, Mapperley

Holy Trinity Parish Church, Mapperley

Mapperley has a long history and is mentioned in the Domesday Book. A Chapel was established here in about 1230 by Hugh de Strelley by arrangement with the Abbot of Dale as patron and Rector and was sanctioned by Alexander Staveney, Bishop of Coventry and Lichfield...

Cossall

Cossall

Just east of Ilkeston is the village of Cossall which, like Trowell, was once part of Lord Middleton's estate. One of Cossall's claims to fame is its Waterloo memorial in the churchyard of St Catherine. The memorial was unveiled on 18th June 1877, the...