Kirk Hallam

Kirk Hallam

by Beverley Kilby

Widening the Nutbrook Canal Bridge, 1950’s – looking towards Spondon, St Norbert Drive / Godfrey Drive junction in middle distance.

Originally an agricultural parish and village, Kirk Hallam is now known for its large housing estates on either side of the main road to Spondon. It is hard to believe that in 1846 Kirk Hallam had just 18 houses and 93 inhabitants and that it changed very little until the last 100 years, with the most rapid growth in size taking place post WW2.

Public sector housing was built by the Ilkeston Borough Council and by Stanton and Staveley on the south side of the village in the 1950s/60s and a mix of public and private housing on the north side in the 1960/70s.  

Ladywood Road looking towards Ilkeston, about 1900.

All Saints Church in the village is a Grade 1 listed building. It was built in the fourteenth century, but it is thought that there may have been an earlier one on the site. The church has had many alterations and repairs over the last couple of hundred years being re-pewed, a new chancel arch, new porch and buttresses added.  

Below the church on the same side of the road is the school built by Francis William Newdigate in 1872. As the population of the village was small the school accepted pupils from other nearby villages such as Little Hallam and Mapperley. The building was extended twice and when Ladywood Road was widened in 1963 some of the front yard was lost. With the new housing estates, the school was inadequate and so new schools were built – one just up the road (Ladywood School) and another Dallimore Primary which was revolutionary in its design – it had no assembly hall, school canteen or toilet block. Instead, seven self-contained classrooms formed teaching spaces in which there were separate areas for teaching, play and a “garden” area as well as toilets. 

Bunker’s Hill Cottages, Ladywood Road seen just before demolition in about 1954. Looking towards Ilkeston, the houses on Welbeck / Poplar Avenues in the distance. (Henry Shaw)

Industry played a small part in the parish with a short-lived colliery and ironstone pit. During the late 19th Century, Ilkeston’s Town Council used water from the colliery to supplement the town’s water supply. The disused ironstone pit – now Pioneer Meadows – was lastly owned by Stanton before coming under Erewash Borough Council’s stewardship.

Related Stories

South Street

South Street

This block stood on the corner of South Street and Wharncliffe Road until 1937 when it was demolished to make way for an extension to the Cooperative Department Store. It once contained a Post Office, Joseph Wright's barber shop and the Bon Bon Shop. Though not a...

St Mary’s Parish Church

St Mary’s Parish Church

The parish church of St Mary the Virgin has stood on its present site since the mid 12th century and until 1848 served the whole town of Ilkeston. Since 1848 three new parishes were formed to serve the spiritual needs of the rapidly expanding town. The building...

Ilkeston Charter Fair

Ilkeston Charter Fair

Introduction King Henry III granted a Charter Hugh de Muskham on April 10th in the year 1252. The charter gave the Lord of the Manor and the townsfolk of Ilkeston the right to hold a market on the Thursday of every week and an annual two day fair on the Assumption of...