This picture, taken in the 1980s, is looking north along Burr Lane. When the Inner Relief Road was constructed in 1993, the houses on the right were lost to it, but most of the houses on the left still remain. In the distance can be seen the former Erewash Valley Brewery, premises which were also used by Ariel Pressings, a firm in the radio and television component business and later by car accessory business Carr Fastenings.
This picture in particular demonstrates how much some parts of Ilkeston have changed. Both Lodge Row, pictured on the left in 1974 and the nearby Chapel Row, stood off the north side of Chapel Street. Lodge Row consisted of two terraces of houses, seven on the west side, six on the east. It is interesting that the only point of reference in these two pictures is the three-storey building which was formerly David Johnson’s DIY and Art Shop on Station Road.
The Hand and Heart on Cotmanhay Road came into being around 1872. It appears there were two houses set back from the road onto which the frontage seen here was constructed. The original Hand and Heart was demolished in 1906 and a new one, designed by local architect Harry Tatham Sudbury, built in its place. This in turn was demolished following a fire which occurred in 2002.
This view along Pimlico looking eastwards towards the King’s Head Inn in 1961. The street was eventually declared a Clearance Area in 1972 and numbers 1 to 11 were acquired for demolition in 1974.
Throughout their existence, these houses on Pimlico retained their original panelled doors with lights over and small canopies, the sash windows having bold lintels. Other dwellings to the rear had plainer front elevations.